Friday, September 13, 2013

Triathlon

So, I don't really know how many people frequent my blog, but I figured it is worth putting up here anyway.  I am running my first triathlon next Saturday.  I am super excited about it; even more so because I have the amazing opportunity to use my race to earn money for a great program called Girls on the Run.
 
My good friend Kathleen runs the program here in Eastern Iowa and I think it is such a unique and great program.  Basically, it gives girls in 3rd to 6th grade the chance to meet twice a week and learn valuable life skills.  They make friends, find positive female role models, and develop healthy social and emotional skills while training for a 5k.  The program does have a fee, but they don't want to turn anyone away who wants to participate.  As such, fundraising helps to give scholarships to girls who can't afford it.
 
I am a little late to the party here since I registered so late for my race.  I was a bit nervous I wouldn't be able to pull myself together in time with knee problems that forced me to take time off running and eye surgery that forced me to take time off swimming.  Luckily, I am back on track and doubly motivated by the thought of helping this program.  If you have a minute check out my fundraising website and donate if you can.  Every little bit helps.  https://www.raceplanner.com/fundraisers/campaign/Chelsea_Willes_SoleMates_2013
 
As a little incentive, here are some of the pictures we had taken in Utah and some other shots of our adventures with the family (for those of you outside my immediate family who haven't seen them yet)
 
The first real family picture we have had taken since I was pregnant with Penny.  I think it turned out pretty well, even if Ian had to be eating snacks to not scream.

A couple shots of Penny, she is so cute, even with her self-cut bangs.  She loves the camera too.


And some of Ian, who was less game for the camera on picture day, but totally willing to ham it up the rest of the time.
 
 
 
And Ben, who was being too tough to smile, but once we got him laughing, he was really fun.


Penny with the groom (my brother, for those of you who didn't know)


Jon, Ben, Penny, and my nephew Dylan on the water toys.  Ben had so much fun on the water toys, even with rope burns all over his fingers (some of them 3rd degree) from his zip-line mishap.

Penny showing her complete lack of fear on the slider with my sister. 
 

1 comment:

Geri said...

Love, love, love these pictures as I do you all.